Monday, July 12, 2010

Perkins Family Reunion 2010

My grandparents decided when their children started getting married not to wait until the family was huge to start doing a family reunion. Instead they started right then! So we have been doing this family reunion for as long as I can remember. Some things have had to change over the years as the family grew, but at least they didn't have to decide when to "start"!
This year my mom's youngest sister Penny and her family were in charge. She really wanted to do and see some of the things that she remembered as a child and so she put together a "Perkins Family Amazing Race!" We don't usually do it until August but some of what she wanted to do wouldn't have been as fun in August so it was moved to Memorial Day weekend.
Our original plan had been to go up Friday and camp for the weekend. The weather did not want to cooperate. So our plan changed to going up Saturday morning and staying one night in a hotel. The only problem with that was the 2+ hour drive and then a good portion of the day in the car on an "Amazing Race!" But it all worked out and we had alot of fun!
We got to visit cemeteries and visit graves. We were there on Memorial Day weekend after all! We all got to learn a thing or two about the family and I think I surprised myself and everyone else with how much I knew about the family! We got to go to Hazelton where my Grandpa grew up. And then we headed into "Twin" as Grandma always called it. That is Twin Falls for anyone who didn't know!
We spent some time at the Twin Falls Temple! It was beautiful and I only wish we had the time to do some Temple work while we were there!

Jaxon decided to show Amanda how big and strong he was getting!

Next we went to the Shoshone Falls. This is a view down river after the falls. I loved the combination of the river, the canyon and the sky!

This is the falls. I couldn't believe the spray off the falls. I had to get a picture of the rainbow it created!

I took so many pictures! I don't think I put in even half of the pictures of the falls that I took! I loved my new camera with this. It was so much fun to be able to zoom in and out! I have been to the falls before but it had been WAY too long! It literally took my breath away!
Our little family in front of the falls. Maycie had fallen asleep in between the Temple and getting to the falls! You can tell it was chilly and we had been in the car all day but we just couldn't pass this up!

I had a really hard time deciding what pictures to put in and which ones to leave out! So if you are sick of the falls I'm sorry but I really don't know how you could be!











It is so much fun to me that my cousins kids and my kids get along so well!




I think this was my best shot of the whole falls.
Truly breath taking!
After we left the falls we stopped in Murtaugh at my Great Grandma Roses house. I am still not sure how I didn't get any pictures of that but I didn't. Penny had talked to the man who bought the house from my Grandma and got permission for us to walk around and see what had changed. I think I was too busy walking around and crying! I had spent so much time there as a child and didn't think I would ever get to go back! It was really wonderful to be able to go back in time a little.

On Sunday we got together at the park and had a Bar-B-Q before everyone headed home. It was a fun time. I love this picture of Emma walking with my Grandma and Aunt Stephanie. Stephanie is on the left & Grandma in the middle.
I am so grateful for my family! I love that we love getting together and being with each other.

2 comments:

Ang said...

You were so close but you didn't stop by to see us?!!! We love Twin Falls, and especially love seeing Shoshone Falls. You went at a good time too!

Becky said...

Glad you didn't wait until Aug to do this family reunion. Love the pic of Emma with her Great Grandma too :)