Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Great Grandparents!

Back in July Jeron's grandparents were here visiting from CA. I knew I didn't have any pictures of them with Maycie and so we took one. Then it hit me that I should probably take one of them with all my kids. The chain reaction of thought was that I should probably do that with ALL of their Great Grandparents! Duh!


With Grandma & Grandpa Wixom!
(Jeron's maternal grandparents!)

With Grandma & Grandpa Perkins
(my maternal grandparents!)
Grandma & Grandpa Perkins are also known as Grandma & Grandpa Snowmobile! This is a name that goes all the way back to when I was young! They have snowmobiles and took us out every year and it is just the kind of name that sticks - you know! Especially when you carry on the tradition with the great grand kids!
With Grandma & Grandpa Harrison
(my paternal grandparents!)
I said before this all started with Jeron's grandparents. What was interesting was that the grandparents that live the closest are the ones it took me the longest to get a picture of. It wasn't because we didn't see them. It was because I couldn't remember my camera (or to take the picture when I did have it with me) to save my life!
I knew when I started taking the pictures that I would do a blog post. It made me think about how important all of these people are in my life and how lucky my children are to have them. And not just have them in their life but to KNOW them. My kids know these people and are influenced by them. They look forward to getting to see them.
The one set of grandparents that are missing from this post so far are Jeron's paternal grandparents. Jeron never got to know his grandfather. He passed away when my father-in-law was just 8 years old. His grandmother was lucky enough to live just 5 months short of her 93rd birthday. My boys all got to know her. Porter was little and doesn't remember much but he does remember her. Jaxon remembers her well.

This is Grandma Collins holding Connor as a baby!

It wouldn't be a post about Great Grandparents if I didn't at least mention that my children also got to know a great great grandmother! My mom's maternal grandmother (Grandma Rose!) was about 3 months short of her 93rd birthday when she passed. Emma was days away from her 2nd birthday and doesn't remember her, but her brothers do!
Maycie only got to know them in Heaven. Thankfully she can be told story after story and not just from mom and dad. But from at least her big brothers too!

Grandma Rose with Connor!

This is one of VERY FEW pictures I have of Grandma Rose! She hated having her picture taken! We must have bribed her with the baby to get this!

I am so thankful for the heritage I am able to give my children through these wonderful people! I am also thankful to have the pictures that I do so I may keep their example alive always and not just for my children but for the generations to come!

2 comments:

Ang said...

Unbelievable that so many are still alive. My paternal grandmother is the only one my kids know. Most of the others died before or when my oldest two girls were tiny. What a wonderful experience for your kids to know such great pioneers! I commented on my blog but didn't know if you would read it.....you were a great friend of course! I love the memories I have with you. But you know there were bad kids that year too and I was really stupid. Not horrible, but I wanted to be better. There was a lot of growing up to do those jr. high and high school years!!! Love ya and I'm so glad we get to be in contact again!

Kristi said...

Brooke~ What a treasure of a post. You truely are lucky to have your Grandparents still physically present. I ache sometimes for mine...literally, then I am lucky enough to feel their spirits. I am glad that your kids enjoy the visits too. Your awesome!