Sunday, January 24, 2010

Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning

Disclaimer: My sister-in-law Alicia did a similar post a number of months ago. It is because of that post that this post is happening! I am sure this song would NOT have the same meaning for me otherwise! So for those of you who may read her blog I am not trying to copy her, just be inspired by her!

I truly thought that moving to 11:00 church was going to make it easier to get there on time! We had a whole extra 2 hours and the boys didn't need to be there half an hour early to help set up chairs. We were golden! In fact, I was kind of excited because we haven't had an 11:00 block in YEARS! We are now almost a full month into the New Year and barely slid into a pew "on time" for the first time! I got all flustered because the pew we usually sit on and that Jaxon had put his stuff down on (he was already there and had been since 9:30! Jeron has a meeting every Sunday at 9:30 and this was one Jaxon had to be too.) was occupied by another family on the other end that didn't leave us enough room. I quickly found another bench on the side that I knew would crowd us but didn't see any other options! Jeron was taking care of coats for me and came in a minute after me looking VERY confused! We even had a sister comment about us sitting in the wrong place! We are creatures of habit and sit on the same pew every week! We would be okay on room until Jaxon was done passing the sacrament and so I warned the others they were going to have to scoot over when he came back! I also warned them the my patients were low so to WATCH OUT! And then the opening hymn starts and I look down to see what it is: Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning! I think to myself: are you kidding me?! So I pay very close attention to the words as we sang this morning. I would like to tell you some of my thoughts as we sang this opening hymn.
First line of the hymn:
Welcome, welcome, Sabbath morning; Now we rest from every care.
Already we have a problem. Rest from every care? As the mother of 5 kids trying to get us all to church on time do you think that I really get a rest from every care? I don't think so!
Welcome, welcome is thy dawning, Holy Sabbath, day of prayer.
Loving teacher kindly greet us As we meet in Sunday School,
Where they labor hard to teach us By the Savior's golden rule.
Believe it or not I am actually okay with the rest of the first verse! As a Primary Teacher I like that the hard work ALL teachers go it is acknowledged! I do always try and greet my class kindly, I may not be happy by the end! But I do always try to start out on a good note!
Hark! the Sabbath bells are ringing; Hear the echoes all around.
List! the merry children singing! What a pleasing, joyful sound!
I am not going to even finish the second verse! Merry children singing? My boys are not merry children singing! In fact I had to threaten Connor to open his hymn book today or he would be punished! Even getting through Sacrament meeting is not restful!
I actually really like the third verse:
Here we bow in meek devotion; Here we sing God's holy praise.
Here our hearts, with fond emotion, Seek to learn his holy ways.
From the books of revelation We are taught while yet in youth.
Words of heavenly inspiration Guide us in the path of truth.
And I remember the days when this used to be going to church for me! I know these days will come again, but right now I am lucky if I hear half of ONE talk! I feel so rude some days! Shhhing my children and trying to keep Emma sitting in ANY way that MIGHT be modest so that when she is 12 she already knows how to sit! Not to mention Maycie climbing all over Jeron and I so that she can stay awake because church is now in the middle of her nap!
And then we hit verse four!
Here we meet with friends and neighbors; Parents too are in the throng.
We are earnest in our labours. To God's kingdom we belong.
Trials make our faith grow stronger; Truth is nobler than a crown.
We will brave the tempest longer Tho the world upon us frown.
We have only been in our "new" ward just over 18 months and so feel at home there. The people we meet with are our friends and neighbors in the truest sense of the word! Our Bishop's parents live in our ward and are able to sit with his wonderful wife and 4 small children so she doesn't have to do it all alone. We truly belong to Gods Kingdom! I may not welcome all that the sabbath morning brings but I know I am helping my children learn the things they need to know so that we can be together forever! These trials will make me stronger and I will be a better person-mom-wife for it! Together with these wonderful brothers and sisters in the gospel I will be able to brave the tempest longer no matter what else comes my way!
So bring it on Sabbath Morning!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I'm always grateful that we sing all the verses in church, because it is usually the last verse that has the most meaningful messages. It just goes to show that if we endure to the end great shall be our JOY!

Love you, Sabbath Mornings alone aren't easy at our house either. I can't wait 'til the day Judd isn't gone to Sunday morning meetings every week :) Oh wait then I'll just have one more person to encourage to get ready on time!

novidiac said...

yeah... I'm hating 11:00 church... I think I'll go inactive until it's back at 9 am. :-)

January didn't go well for Whittaker and I... maybe February will be better... We actually thought we had it all together last week and as I brushed my teeth, Sarah cried out from the changing table... "Now I have to change"... Whittaker had peed all over her while she tried to change his diaper... I was stifling laughter while she complained. Not a sympathetic mother here! We sent all the boys on without us!