Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hymns From The Heart: I Know That My Redeemer Lives

My Hymns From The Heart posts have gotten a bit behind! I know! Some of that I was sick but most of it I have just been lazy! Now I'm having Hymn overload! Just in the first session of Conference today there were so many Hymns mentioned that touched me I was amazed! It was wonderful to be reminded how the music we sing is a wonderful window to our spirits! So, now I have a list to draw from if I ever have need. Today I am going to focus on the rest Hymn from the morning session, Hymn #136 I Know That My Redeemer Lives. I used to take this song for granted. But I can no longer sing it without my heart swelling and threatening to take over my whole body! I'm not sure when it happened, or if there was some specific reason. All I know is that I am overwhelmed with the spirit by the words of this song.
I Know That My Redeemer Lives


I know that my Redeemer lives.

What comfort this sweet sentence gives!

He lives, he lives, who once was dead.

He lives, my everliving Head.

He lives to bless me with his love.

He lives to plead for me above.

He lives my hungry soul to feed.

He lives to bless in time of need.


He lives to grant me rich supply.

He lives to guide me with his eye.

He lives to comfort me when faint.

He lives to hear my soul's complaint.

He lives to silence all my fears.

He lives to wipe away my tears.

He lives to calm my troubled heart.

He lives all blessings to impart.


He lives, my kind, wise heav'nly Friend.

He lives and loves me to the end.

He lives, and while he lives, I'll sing.

He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.

He lives and grants me daily breath.

He lives and I shall conquer death.

He lives my mansion to prepare.

He lives to bring me safely there.


He lives! All glory to his name!

He lives, my Savior, still the same.

Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:

"I know that my Redeemer lives!"

He lives! All glory to his name!

He lives, my Savior still the same.

Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:

"I know that my Redeemer lives!"


I could have gone through each line and verse to tell you of personal experiences of why I know that particular line is true. But then this post would be a hundred years long! What I can say is that I testify that the words of this Hymn are true. All of them! I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that when I go to Him my hungry soul will be fed and He will bless me in my times of need. I have felt His comfort many, many times! I feel the joy of this knowledge even now. I know that my Redeemer lives!

1 comment:

Ang said...

One of my favorite hymns too. It started for me when I taught it in primary and we learned sign language to it. The kids LOVED it so much and it felt like we were bearing our testimonies every time. I loved after I was released as primary chorister seeing "my" primary kids doing the sign language in Sacrament meeting even after they were done with that song in primary!