Saturday, November 14, 2009

Time Out For Women

A few months ago my sister found out that Time Out For Women was coming to Salt Lake City for the first time! For those of you who may have never heard of this don't feel bad. I hadn't until maybe a year or so ago! (I know most of you are thinking that I must live in a hole or something!) It is basically like a Relief Society Conference on steroids! I had a friend who lives in Montana who was able to go with some friends and raved about how wonderful it was. I have another friend who went to it in Idaho and the same thing from her! So when my sister called and asked if I would be interested in going I told her yes! I then went to my sweet, sweet husband and asked if it was something we might be able to squeeze it into the budget he took one look at my face and told me he would do what ever it took for me to be able to go! He could see in one look how much I needed it!
When we bought the tickets we knew Jaxon's football team was not going to be going to the playoffs and so we would be done with football and so no problem! And then his team decided to do Jag Bowl and then we had football again! First I felt guilty that I would be missing Jaxon's LAST football game. When I got over the guilt I then realized that in addition to me missing the game Jeron would be coaching and how is he supposed to watch a 4YO and a 1YO while coaching a football game? He can't and Emma defiantly cannot be trusted to just sit by the side and watch like a good girl! I wasn't sure what to do! I kept putting off the dealing with the problem instead just letting it eat away at me! And then out of the blue my sweet Aunt Connie called me, "We have an extra ticket to Disney Princess on Ice, would Emma like to come with us?" Are you kidding? Talk about Emma heaven! One girl down, one to go! I guess I could have called some girls in the ward that keep telling us they would love to watch the girls for us if we ever need them to. I'm not used to needing that anymore because we have Jaxon. I think I have forgotten how to ask a YW to babysit! I'm still not sure why I didn't call them. I think I kept hoping the weather wouldn't be as bad as they kept saying on the news! Papa K would be going to the game and she could just sit with him. Well, the weather was worse then they kept saying and so Papa K had to stay home to keep Maycie out of the weather!
The point of me telling you all of this was one of the things that I learned for the millionth time this weekend was the Adversary will do almost ANYTHING to keep us from doing something that will help us, uplift us and bring us closer to our Father in Heaven. I needed, oh how I needed the things that I heard this weekend! I took notes. I wrote and wrote and wished I had written more! When I got there on Friday evening I felt my oil vial was empty. I now feel that it is full to over flowing! But I also know that if I don't work continuously to keep it full it will be empty again in no time! If I do the little things everyday that will keep my vial full I will always be prepared, but it takes a very short time to use up what we have saved! It really doesn't have a very long shelf life.
As I thought about writing this post I thought I would write about the many things that I learned and insights I felt through the spirit. As I started writing I realized those were for me and it was not what was really important! I'm not even sure this post is really important to anyone but me! I think what I'm trying to get out is that it is important for us to take the time for us! I was reminded again and again that I can't be a good mom and teach my children the things they need to know if I'm not feeling the spirit on a regular basis. I had gotten so caught up in the every day "have to do's" of mortal life that I was neglecting my spirit!
I am so glad that I didn't let the little things get in the way! I am so grateful for a husband who wouldn't let them! If you are interested in learning more about this event you can go to: http://deseretbook.com/tofw
Registration opens November 23 for next year! If it is something you have thought about doing I encourage you to do it! It is not something you will regret!

3 comments:

Ang said...

I'm so glad you were able to go - it would have been fun to be there with you! I agree so much about our oil vials getting empty quickly. So important that we moms get time to renew and refill! Love ya!

Kristi said...

It sounds like it was wonderful. Thanks for the reminder to keep OUR spirits up, and for such an uplifting post. Love ya

Becky said...

I'm so glad that your were able to get away. Mom's never put themselves first and when we do we definitely feel the guilt. It's so true that everytime we do plan something uplifting the adversary throws a blizzard (literally) into our plans. So glad your Dad and Jeron were able to work it out. Love ya