Monday, March 23, 2009

3...2...1...BLAST OFF!

At Maycie's 4 month Well Check our Pediatrician noticed that her head shape was A-symmetrical and that she has what is called Torticollis. She would always look to her right and tip her head to the left. This was something we had noticed and were not too surprised. Our Pediatrician recommended we go to see a Physical Therapist. So we started physical therapy once a week. The Physical Therapist wanted us to see a Plastic Surgeon. The Plastic Surgeon wanted us to do a soft form helmet. So we got in and started the process of the helmet. And when I say process I mean process!
I had to take her in for the the "pre-visit" visit. Jeron and I had to write a letter to the insurance company telling them what we had been doing to correct the problem on our own. There is nothing like writing a letter that makes you feel like you have to prove yourself as a parent to people who don't even know you or your child. They had to take all kinds of measurements and pictures. Then we had to wait for the insurance company to tell us if they would pay for it or not. When this all started at her 4 month visit my first thought was "Oh no, she is going to have to wear a helmet." When the wait for the insurance company started I had come full circle to, "Oh no, they aren't going to pay for the helmet." We did end up having to call. I should say Jeron had to call. I tried and got no where! Jeron had the helmet approved by the next day! Then we went in and had a soft cast mold done of her head. It was just as bad as it sounds! They took plaster like they use for casts and put it all over her head. She didn't even cry until the very last piece when he had to hold it in place. I told the guy that it was no wonder kids do okay with the helmets, they are nothing after doing the mold!

We went today to pick up our newest accessory! She has adjusted really well. There was a little girl in just before us that did not do well. I started to get nervous. They left without the helmet on because it was making her so upset. Maycie didn't even seem to notice it! I have been so proud of her. She has handled it all so well. The physical therapy and poking and prodding. She did hit a point when she didn't want anyone touching her head at all! But for the most part she has been taking this all in stride!

I have the cutest neighbor ever. She made a ton of bows for Maycie when she was born, and when I found out we were going to be doing the helmet I asked her if she would help me figure out a way to put bows on it! You know me! My girls gotta have there bows! Yesterday she brought me 5 bows "just to get me started!" Holly, you are the cutest! We decided she looks a little like an astronaut so she must be destined to end up in space! Aim high sweetie!

5 comments:

Gygi Culinary Solutions said...

Oh she looks so cute. I love the bows on the helmet. Holly showed those to me on Sunday. I hope everything continues to go good with it.

Alicia said...

I am so glad the helmet is here. She looks cute, and that is a hard look to pull of:) She does it well.

stressedkris said...

That is what Kimmie had when she was a baby and couldn't hold her neck up. We never had to do the helmet because it would put too much weight on her neck. But we did all the other stuff and it takes a lot out of you. She looks beautiful! I love the bows. Hang in there!!!

Kristi said...

Bless her little heart!! What a trooper...you too mom. She's adorable

The Selman's said...

She is so cute! I love it! So I am sure you are very excited that i found you and can now blog stalk you right!? Anyway have a grat day... loves!!