Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers

I didn't do a Mothers Day post last year. I thought about it but didn't. I then felt guilty for some reason. I thought alot about this post yesterday. I thought alot about the many women in my life who have had influence on me.
My own mother of course. There were many times I thought she could read minds or tell the future or something. She always just seemed to KNOW things! She could look at me and knew if I was reading my scriptures! I think she still can she just doesn't say anything (sometimes - she'll still give me a kick in the pants when I need it!). My first response to a problem is to pray about it because that is what my mom taught me to do. She listens to the spirit and acts on the promptings she receives. Not only has this been a good example to me of how I should be it has helped me more then once! It was my second day alone with the boys after I had Porter and my mom's first day back to work. She had taken time off to help me the week before. She had Monday off but was doing alot of sewing for the High School Dance Company. Monday had gone fine of course because she was just a phone call away and could come over at anytime if I needed her. Tuesday when she was at work and didn't even have a phone in the Library is when the boys decided my "break" was over! While I was nursing Porter Jaxon and Connor got into flower or peanut butter I can't remember now! I just remember a huge mess when I was done! Mostly I remember kneeling down in my living room crying a prayer to my Father in Heaven. I needed to talk to my mom! Only a few minutes later my phone rang. To my amazement it was my mom, "I had a little break and wanted to see how your day was going." She then said all the right things to calm me down. That phone call helped me through the rest of that day and also a pretty bad postpartum depression. It helped me remember that my Father in Heaven knew me and was there to help me through what ever I will go through in my life. My mom listened to a prompting! She has always been there to do what ever her Father in Heaven needed her to do.
My mother-in-law. I wouldn't have the wonderful husband I have today without her! She raised 7 kids adopted 4 more after Jeron and I were married and had 2 kids ourselves! She too taught her children through the spirit and it shows. 7 of the 11 children are endowed, 6 of those married in the temple. She has taken me in as a daughter and for years I got to be the "favorite daughter-in-law"! Of course that was because I was the only one but hey I'll take it! Now I'm the favorite in Utah and Annie gets to be the favorite in Washington! She has always been there for Jeron and I. More then once when we were living in Sandy and Jeron was at school with the car or working late I would walk over to the house because it was my only way out of the house! I knew I was always welcome and if I timed things right I could get dinner out of the deal!
I could go into my grandmothers who have both taught me many things. Jeron's grandmothers who I have enjoyed so much getting to know. Both Grandma Collins before she passed away and Grandma Wixom even though she lives so far away now. Grandma Wixom gave me a whole box of yarn she had collected over the years and couldn't use anymore because she knew how much I was enjoying my crochet! Grandma Harrison helped me make a doll for my sister for Christmas one year and would have us each over for a day of making goodies and whatever else! Grandma Perkins (or Snowmobile!) would have us each up to Idaho for a week every summer! One of the things about those was that I also got to spend time with my Great Grandmothers. Great Grandma Perkins always had a cookie jar and AFTER a hug you got to go straight to the jar! She was an amazingly strong woman. Great Grandma Rose was also. I remember going shopping with Grandma Rose and her sister once. She also had a grand daughter with her and bought her a really cute shirt that I just loved. Grandma Rose couldn't afford to buy me one too but she knew she could make me one! After we got home from shopping she found some material she had and I went home with a new shirt and no one could tell the difference! Some of my greatest memories as a child come from those times with my grandmothers and great grandmothers.
I could continue to go on and on. Aunts, on my side and Jeron's. (Jody who started taking all of the "big" girls to the temple for our birthdays!) Sisters and sisters-in-law. I am lucky enough to have 2 sisters and 7 sisters-in-law! That is ALOT of good examples and good friends! My sisters and I would fight when we were growing up and my mom would always tell us we would be best friends later in life. And you know what, we are! At least I hope they feel the same way! Cousins. I have the best cousins in the world! (That includes you in-laws!) Friends and women in my ward, past wards and so on. Everywhere I turn I have women to look up to and learn from.
I would like to say a great big thank you to all the women in my life and all they do for me. Thank you for the help, support, prayers so on and so forth! I wish I could do more for you but I hope right now my humble prayers of gratitude for you and whatever else you may need in your life are enough!

No comments: