Thursday, February 24, 2011

Potty Training!

Maycie started showing signs of being ready to potty train before she even turned 2. But I kept making excuses.

"We're in the middle of football season. That would just be WAY too hard!"

Then it was:

"It's the middle of Christmas. All the parties and get togethers. That would just be WAY too hard!"

And then after Christmas I went to the store to get diapers and when I put them in the cart Maycie burst into tears. I didn't fully understand what was happening. I bought them any way. And every time I changed her diaper she would cry, "I no diaper!" So I started asking if she wanted to go on the potty instead. The answer was always yes with no results! So when it was time for more diapers we bought pull-ups instead (I was NOT ready to go cold turkey!) and we really started trying! We had our first success! We were on our way! And then she wouldn't want to try anymore, it just took too much effort! But the moment I would mention diapers we would be back on track!
We tried all kinds of things, and they would work for a day or two and then we were right back where we started. Over time I realized she would do fine if she was in panties and wouldn't even try if she had on a pull-up. So I started telling her if she was awake she wore panties while still putting her in a pull-up if we were out and about. I quickly realized we were to our last hang up one day while I was at a presidency meeting. She told me she needed to go like 3 times but wouldn't go on the "big potty". I hurried home and guess who was still dry! That is right, she held it, and went the moment she sat on her potty! I knew if I could just get her over this hurdle we could say POTTY TRAINED!
It took us a couple of weeks, A LOT of trips to the potty (we even took her little chair with us a few places), and a few accidents but I think we can say we are there! It is still taking a trip or 2 for her to relax (especially those ones that flush by themselves! Those REALLY freak her out!) but she goes...on the "big potty"! At home I don't even think about it anymore! And when we are out I trust her to tell me (for the most part =))! While I have been sick it got a little hard to run her over and over again and have her not go. But there was a little voice (everyone around me plus the one in my head!) telling me, "at least she's not having any accidents!" I'm sure there are still some in our future, but I feel I can safely say that Maycie is potty trained! WAAAHHOOOO!!!!!


Potty training is very hard on you!

In fact, you might say, it is down right exhausting!

No comments: