Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hymns From The Heart: How Gentle God's Commands

I mentioned in an earlier blog entry a regular blog entry I have been wanting to start doing. Last year I did an entry about the Hymn, "Welcome, Welcome Sabbath Morning". After I did that entry I have had similar feelings of inspiration many Sundays as we have sung Hymns in Sacrament meetings. I have regretted not writing down those thoughts and feelings. I began thinking that a weekly entry about a Hymn from my meetings would be a good way of sharing my testimony. The problem is I did a lot more thinking then I did writing or sharing! Well, I have decided I have done enough thinking! It is time to start sharing!
This week's Hymn is, "How Gentle God's Commands". I wasn't at church this last Sunday. I was home sick in bed. So this is from Sunday the 13th. As I looked over this Hymn the feelings I felt, even more then a week ago, as we sang it as our closing Hymn that Sunday came back to me. I would like to share some of those with you now.
How gentle God's commands!
How kind his precepts are!
Our Father in Heaven is loving and kind! The things He asks of us are for our good and not meant to make things difficult for us.
Come cast your burdens on the Lord
And trust his constant care.
He wants us to bring the things that are difficult for us, the things that weigh on us, to Him. His love for us is constant and unconditional.
Beneath his watchful eye,
His Saints securely dwell;
That hand which bears all nature up
Shall guard his children well.
The Lord is always mindful of us. If we are doing the things we should (following those gentle commands!) we have nothing to worry about.
Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind?
Haste to your Heavenly Father's throne
And sweet refreshment find.
Why do I let the things of this world worry me? Why do I let things that have no lasting consequence get in the way of the eternal things? If I will just focus on the things that are really important I find the sweet refreshment and peace our Heavenly Father so very willingly offers.
His goodness stand approved,
Unchanged from day to day;
I'll drop my burden at his feet
And bear a song away.
The Lord does not change. He stands firm, as a beacon to lead the way for each of us. If I will take my burdens to Him He will lift me and make my burdens light!
I testify that these things are true! I have experienced it for myself. I have felt the love of my Savior and Father in Heaven. I have felt my burdens lifted and my load lightened!
I am grateful for the Hymns and other good music the Lord gives us to invite the spirit into our home and lives. For these moments we are given to help us remember.
PS- if you click on the link of "Welcome, Welcome Sabbath Morning" it will take you to my blog entry. If you click on the link of "How Gentle God's Commands" it will take you to the church web site so you can listen to the song, see the sheet music, and learn more about it! =)

No comments: