Monday, October 5, 2009

I Have Changed!

It is always amazing to me to look back over my life and see how I have changed even though I don't really feel any different! As I was drooling over a Suburban the other day I realized how much my taste in cars have changed over the years.
When I was in high school I was in love with muscle cars in particular a '67 Mustang! I wanted one and thought I would always want one. Now, I can still appreciate a beautiful Mustang and any muscle car for that matter. The new Camero, very HOT car! I love that my boys are trying to learn all about these cars and ask what they are looking at and can appreciate them along with Jeron and I.
After I got married and had Jaxon I decided I wanted a Nissan Pathfinder! Very cool "mom" car! Very cool SUV and yet not too big (because I would NEVER drive some huge van or suburban! Not me!). Very quickly I realized that our family size and money were not going to add up to a Pathfinder. We did have a Pontiac Grand Am and even though we had some problems with it I really did love that car! I did realize, at what point I can't remember, that we were going to end up in a mini van one day. I came to grips with it, but that was as far as I was going! I would never drive anything bigger then that! Porter was born and I moved from "wanting" a mini van to "coveting" a mini van. It got so bad that Jaxon, at 4 years old, was drooling over mini vans! Keep in mind he was in between his brothers in the back seat!
We are now on our 2nd mini van and I have truly loved this van! When we bought it I was sure I was never going to drive anything else! And then about a year and a half ago we found out our family was growing again! Even then I saw no need for a Suburban. We would all fit in the van just fine! The closer to delivery we got the more I knew we were going to end up in something bigger but was just sure we would be just fine for at least a couple more years! We are just fine but we have made that move from "wanting" to "coveting" yet again! I was talking with my sister-in-law the other day and stopped in the middle of a sentence to google over a Suburban! Actually it was a Yukon XL Denali! I felt so bad! I had just stopped talking!
Every once in a while I check KSL to see what is out there and what they are going for. I looked for my first car for almost 2 years! I drove my mom and dad nuts! So now I am driving my husband nuts! He worries that I am going to be sad if I find one and then we can't get it. I did find one once that I was trying to figure out a way to make it work. And then we went and test drove a newer one! They even let us keep it for the day thinking we would come back willing to do whatever they told us to be able to get it! I did love it! I did want it! But I knew when we left the dealership with it it wasn't going to happen. So when we went back and they wanted some outlandish price we were able to walk away with no regrets! I do know exactly what I want now though! One day we will have one. In the meantime I am trying not to covet too much!

2 comments:

Ang said...

I totally hear what you're saying! We've had a suburban for 8 years now and I LOVE it so much! It's been such a good family vehicle. We've totally outgrown it and we're in trouble with the next baby! I'm NOT and will NEVER covet an extended van, but I don't know what else our family will fit in!!! For now we'll just stick with 2 cars......

novidiac said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks for cars for a LONG time. Patrick says I'm a researchaholic... constantly looking at the options... I'm currently 'drooling' over 8+ passenger vehicles also!... Test driving them is like a cruel form of torment.

The price ought to go down with the number of seats not up! Because obviously if you need that many seats you're already tapped out financially just having that many passengers! But they don't ask me!