Saturday, October 3, 2009

Do They Hear The Things We Teach?

I know I have wondered more then once if my children hear the things we have been trying to teach them since the day they were born. Most of the time I have felt as if it goes in one ear and out the other. (Thank You Elder Bednar! It was nice to hear that even an Apostle of The Lord felt that way a time or two!) Every once in a while I have been given a glimpse that at least some of it sticks inside the head before most of it passes out the other side!
Over the last month I have been given such a glimpse with Jaxon. About a month ago we found out that ours and some surrounding Stakes were asked to gather an Aaronic Priesthood Choir for the Priesthood Session of Conference. The first practice was hard. He had to miss a trip to Grandma's to visit and see cousins. Jeron and I asked him to make it a matter of prayer. He decided to go. At that practice he found out the practices would be on Sunday nights (not a problem) and on Thursday nights at the very same time as football practice. They had been told that they had to be to every practice and so Jeron and I just didn't see any way for him to be able to do it. See, we are trying to teach our children when they commit to something they commit. He had committed to football first, and even though this was an acceptable thing to say "I want to do that instead" what do we do the next time and he says "I want to do that instead" to missing anything for something that was NOT acceptable and then throws this in our face? So the next Sunday when he came to us and told us he was going to go to practice we asked him how he was going to make this work. He told us that he was just going to talk to them and see if he could just miss Thursday practices. WOW! I have to say that I truly believe when we counseled him to make it a matter of prayer that he did so. When he was faced with a problem he listened to the council his parents gave him, took the problem to the Lord and then listened to the answered that he received.
Many more times we have been able to point out ways the Lord had paved the way for him to be able to do this. He only had two 9am games, this morning being one of them. Last week he hurt his knee even more in his game and so coach didn't want him dressing in pads for practice this week. See this week was the dress rehearsal practice that COULD NOT be missed so football practice would be. (This practice was on Wednesday not Thursday) But just to be extra sure we had so much rain before Wednesday practice they couldn't hold practice! The ducks had taken over the field! Not a huge surprise to me. I have grown up by this park and have seen water in it for days after a rain like we had this last week! What was amazing to me was that by Thursday there was NO water left at all. And I mean NO WATER! It blew my mind!
The Lord truly watches over us. And I have to say that more then Jaxon remembering the things he has been taught, I have been reminded of a few things over the last month. I have been reminded that the Lord is mindful of me and my little family. He wants to see all of us return to Him again and will give me the teaching moments I need to be able to do that if I will take those opportunities. I am grateful for a wonderful husband who helps me see and take those moments. I am grateful for wonderful children, despite the many times I think they are not listening, who try to take the things that we teach them into their lives. I am also grateful for my Savior who died for me so that I can be with Him and this wonderful family again.

P.S. If you would like to see a picture of Jaxon at the dress rehearsal go to the blog "Noble Moments"

3 comments:

Megan said...

Clearly, you're a great mom. Hopefully some of that will rub off on Afton! Between the two of us, she should turn out alright! Jaxon is an amazing kid. You're certainly doing somethign right!

novidiac said...

I can send you the picture, just need your email. We hardly let Caleb through the door tonight before we started pestering him with questions about the whole experience!! Just so incredible!

Becky said...

He is an amazing young man. What a blessing that he didn't have to miss this marvelous opportunity :)

Becky